View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Who is this person? Some sort of transportation planner? An urban affairs expert? No - the extent of her credentials appear to be that she visited Canada for a few weeks.

Considering that, why is this even an article? It's not enlightening, it's not well-informed, it's just the whining anecdotes of one tourist out of millions (why does this deserve to be published out of all of those others?). There are plenty of criticisms to be made of Canada's car culture & suburban planning - but this is just poorly written, hyperbolic, condescending, unhelpful rubbish.

Regardless of the content, it's a sad state of affairs when any idiot on the internet can have their opinion published by a major media source.
Agreed. Although I have to say it's chiefly the fault of the media outlet for printing what is essentially an uninformed rant.

And even though I'm projecting somewhat, I think it's a trademark Canadian failing. One of the things I like least about our culture [I'm a Canadian] is that we are thin-skinned and we care what other people think about us. All cultures do, to some extent, but few other countries would give airtime to some nobody.

Quote:
Huh? Montreal is twice the population of Copenhagen. Vancouver is slightly larger.
I think he meant Copenhagen-Malmo, as opposed to Copenhagen. But I think your point still stands: Copenhagen-Malmo is not really a unified metro in the true sense. The two cities do not share a language or currency. Zealand, the Danish island that basically contains any settlement that could conceivably be considered to be part of the Copenhagen metro has the same population as Metro Vancouver, a distinct, legal jurisdiction governed by a regional authority (and which doesn't include the municipalities of the Fraser Valley which could also be decidedly, although not officially, part of the Vancouver metro).