View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 1:28 AM

An interesting poll conducted in France by IFOP in 2014.

Percentage of people living in France who think there are too many of each group in France:
- Maghrebans: 51% (i.e. 51% of the people living in France think there are too many Maghrebans in France; back in 1966, the same IFOP poll found 62% of the people living in France thought there were too many Maghrebans in France)
- Muslim people: 51%
- foreigners in general: 40% (down from 51% back in 1966)
- Black Africans (from sub-Saharan Africa): 36% (up from 18% back in 1966)
- Asians (that means "East Asians" in France): 20%
- Jews: 16%
- Protestants: 7%

Percentage of people with Muslim origin in France who define themselves as:
- practicing Muslim believer: 42% (i.e. 42% of people who have Muslim ancestry and who live in France define themselves as practicing Muslim believers)
- Muslim believer (but not practicing): 34%
- of Muslim origin: 21% (i.e. 21% of people who have Muslim ancestry and who live in France define themselves only as "of Muslim origin")
- not religious: 3%

That 42% figure makes me laugh a bit. People seem very "generous" with what they term "practicing". There is no way 42% of the people with Muslim origin in France make the prayer 5 times a day, go to the Mosque every Friday, do the zakat, and whatnot. For most of them I would think "practicing" means they do the Ramadan, perhaps go to a mosque once in a while, and that's about it.

Percentage of each group who think the Jews have too much power in the economy and the finance world:
- all the people of France: 25% (i.e. 25% of all the inhabitants of France think the Jews have too much power in the economy and in the finance world)
- practicing Muslim believers: 74% (i.e. 74% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France think the Jews have too much power in the economy and in the finance world)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 69%
- people "of Muslim origin": 52%

Percentage of each group who think the French authorities fight more against antisemitism than against racism:
- all the people of France: 35% (i.e. 35% of all the people of France think the French authorities fight more against antisemitism than against racism)
- practicing Muslim believers: 72% (i.e. 72% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France think the French authorities fight more against antisemitism than against racism)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 65%
- people "of Muslim origin": 54%

Percentage of each group who, if they could, would personally avoid to have a Jewish neighbor:
- all the people of France: 6% (i.e. 6% of all the people of France would personally avoid to have a Jewish neighbor)
- practicing Muslim believers: 14% (i.e. 14% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France would personally avoid to have a Jewish neighbor)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 7%
- people "of Muslim origin": 2%

Percentage of each group who, when they personally hear that someone they are acquainted with is Jewish, just don't care about it:
- all the people of France: 91% (i.e. 91% of all the people of France just don't care when they hear that someone they are acquainted with is Jewish; 3% like it, 3% dislike it, 3% have no opinion)
- practicing Muslim believers: 86% (i.e. 86% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France just don't care when they hear that someone they are acquainted with is Jewish; 5% like it, 7% dislike it, 2% have no opinion)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 85% (9% like it, 6% dislike it)
- people "of Muslim origin": 86% (11% like it, 1% dislike it, 2% have no opinion)

The next one is odd. The Muslim people seem more accepting of the Frenchness of the Jews than the French people themselves.

Percentage of each group who think that a Jewish Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman:
- all the people of France: 84% (i.e. 84% of all the people of France think that a Jewish Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman; back in 1946, the same IFOP poll found that only 37% of the people of France thought that a Jewish Frenchman was as French as any other Frenchman; in 1966 it was 60%; in 1978 it was 83%)
- people who voted for Marine Le Pen at the 2012 presidential elections: 63% (i.e. 63% of the people who voted for Marine Le Pen at the 2012 presidential elections think that a Jewish Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman)
- practicing Muslim believers: 90% (i.e. 90% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France think that a Jewish Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 91%
- people "of Muslim origin": 92%

The next one is not surprising. The French Muslims think they are as French as any other Frenchmen.

Percentage of each group who think that a Muslim Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman:
- all the people of France: 65% (i.e. 65% of all the people of France think that a Muslim Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman; down from 79% in 2005)
- people who voted for Marine Le Pen at the 2012 presidential elections: 30% (i.e. 30% of the people who voted for Marine Le Pen at the 2012 presidential elections think that a Muslim Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman)
- practicing Muslim believers: 89% (i.e. 89% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France think that a Muslim Frenchman is as French as any other Frenchman)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 91%
- people "of Muslim origin": 89%

Percentage of each group who trust the French school system/the teachers:
- all the people of France: 67% (i.e. 67% of all the people of France trust the French school system/the teachers)
- practicing Muslim believers: 72% (i.e. 72% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France trust the French school system/the teachers)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 74%
- people "of Muslim origin": 79%

Percentage of each group who trust the French State:
- all the people of France: 24% (i.e. 24% of all the people of France trust the French State)
- practicing Muslim believers: 33% (i.e. 33% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France trust the French State)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 38%
- people "of Muslim origin": 34%

Muslim europhiles!

Percentage of each group who trust the European Union:
- all the people of France: 32% (i.e. 32% of all the people of France trust the European Union)
- practicing Muslim believers: 38% (i.e. 38% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France trust the European Union)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 40%
- people "of Muslim origin": 51%

Muslim demoracy-enthusiasts!

Percentage of each group who think that in France, the democratic system is working well:
- all the people of France: 32% (i.e. 32% of all the people of France think that in France, the democratic system is working well; 68% think it is not working well)
- practicing Muslim believers: 54% (i.e. 54% of the practicing Muslim believers who live in France think that in France, the democratic system is working well)
- Muslim believers (but not practicing): 58%
- people "of Muslim origin": 68%

Last edited by New Brisavoine; Jan 3, 2015 at 2:36 AM.