View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:34 PM

Burl's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found this matchbook on eBay a few nights ago.

eBay

The Burl Room on Hollywood Boulevard and Burls Restaurant No 2 on W Pico Boulevard both appear in the 1956 CD (below). The 1960 CD has The Burl Room and Burls Restaurant on Hollywood Boulevard (I couldn't see the W Pico location, but the later CDs don't seem to list that area). Burls Restaurant continues to appear at 4483 Hollywood Boulevard throughout the 1960s, but is listed as Burls Coffee Shop in 1973. The 1987 CD lists the Chinese Garden Cafe at 4483 Hollywood Boulevard.

LAPL

Despite the Hollywood Boulevard restaurant existing for at least 17 years, I haven't managed to find a picture of it.
While selling newspapers as a 11-12 year old kid one of the places i sold at was in front of Burl's at where Hollywood Bl. and Hillhurst cross. Hollywood Bl. starts here at Sunset Bl. which bend off. At that time as far as I remember it was a coffee shop, there may have been a lounge but not sure. Next door was the Vista Theater and down the street was a movie studio (now KCET). I had regular customers that I would bring papers too inside. Across the street was a drive in and another studio lot on Sunset. There was a lot of traffic and foot traffic there then and I sold lots of papers.