View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:10 AM
Volatile Pacivist

It's really hard to pin down what makes these threads so special. I think the first part is that they mix pictures of so many different subjects rather than having a singular focus. There are close ups of individual objects such as a glass, medium scale views such as of nearby bikes or a store sign, plus expansive views like a skyline or a long street. The buildings are never treated as art objects or monuments featured for their own glorification. Instead they add detail and texture to larger scenes of streetscapes or gatherings of people.

I think they would be best described using an aesthetic framework such as that of Allen Carlson who prefers to approach the aesthetics of human environments as just that: environments. This approaches the aesthetic contemplation of environments as separate from those of art or architecture and instead views them as dynamic systems that develop and change over time rather than simply being designed and constructed in discrete steps. It also considers the role the actual occupants play in not just shaping a built environment, but as an element within a type of ecology that happens to be focused on human spaces.

I've seen threads in which the focus was much more narrow. Views of skyline and buildings, views of certain types of people or activities, etc. But the Kilgore threads always seem diverse with a balance of the human, the cultural, and the architectural - not just in the overall thread, but often in individual images.

Anyway, cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.