View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimKind View Post
I live in Houston and I like the skyline and all, but we never had any major changes to the skyline since around 1978. I wish that Houston would add more and change it up because it needs a more modern look. It is still very impressive!
(If ya'll look at the fantasy section of Houston in the cities thing, it would be cool if they added the Emerald Plaza or/and the Earth Plaza)
Downtown Houston's skyline is still fairly large, thus having major changes is hard to do, we would have to go through a boom to truly change up the skyline. Places like Chicago, have gone through a boom, but it still isnt much different from the older skyline, even with the likes of Trump Tower, and the other countless skyscrapers over 500 ft,etc.

And changing up the main part of the skyline is even more challenging as there isnt much room to place towers in front of the main buildings, which I think is where a main problem lies. Had Houston's DT buildings been located centrally in the core of DT, there would be some shorter buildings in front of them to accentuate the density that many people don't think exist in DT Houston. I've always wished Wells Fargo Plaza, Herritage Plaza, One Shell Plaza, Continental Center, Bank of America Center, etc were clustered together in the middle of DT, and not at the forefront, where they hide all the buildings behind them.

But, the only way to change up the skyline district, would be to build really tall skyscrapers(600 ft+, but really,800 ft+) behind these buildings just to make a notable change, and what sucks even more, is that DT is laid out in a grid, so there will always be those gaps in the skyline due to the intervening streets in between buildings.

Heres hoping for a 900 footer to change Houston's skyline big time sometime in the not-too distant future.