View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

The Richfield Building with it's 146-foot tower in 1955

^^^
I sure miss this building. Pic posted by ethereal_reality on first page of his blog, 2009.

Today this building would be preserved. The ARCO Plaza could have been built around it, but in 1968/69 it's value was not appreciated.

Everybody should go back to the first pages of this blog (2009) and enjoy all the pics. Start with page 1, and work forward 5 pages a day. I didn't find this blog until a year ago, so I have a lot of catching up to do.
I'm not too sure that ARCO could have built on that site and preserved the Richfield Building. Keep in mind in the late 60's when ARCO decided to consolidate their operations here in LA(they could have gone with Atlantic's HQ in Philly), they were facing a really big capital project in getting crude from the North Slope down to it's refineries in Washington and Carson. So to develop the whole block they needed a partner(Bank of America) to help share the costs of the new headquarters.

The Richfield Building wasn't forgotten at ARCO, the lobby for the executive floors on the 50th floor had about a 4' model of the building. I really wonder what happened to that model after ARCO vacated the tower and moved to the old Security Pacific building and then being acquired by bp.