View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Great color shots you're finding, gsjansen and ethereal. Interesting to see the downtown Silverwoods, Desmond's, and Mullen Bluett stores in this shot. Here are their Miracle Mile branches:

LAPL

LAPL
These two stores were in the west and east wings, respectively, of the the Wilshire Tower, 5514 Wilshire Blvd.

LAPL
Mullen Bluett was at 5570 Wilshire.
Now that's what I'M talking about. I used to live on Cochran Ave at Wilshire, in the heart of the Miracle Mile. (There is a great primer on the Miracle Mile at LAist, from where I snagged the photos.) This was and remains my favorite neighborhood in Los Angeles, and the Desmond's/Silverwoods building was one of my favorites. As you can see, it's still in good shape:

(LAist)

The SE corner of Wilshire & Cochran features another fine old Miracle Mile building, the former Myer Siegel store at 5420 Wilshire Blvd:

(LAist)

I just discovered that this is a Morgan, Walls & Clements building. No wonder I liked it.

The Mullen Bluett building was a Sav-On pharmacy by the time I lived in the neighborhood in the mid-1990's. The property was purchased by a developer in the early 00's. An attempt to preserve the building was made by a few admirers, but authorities disagreed that it was architecturally significant. I recall the Times reporting on this, but I can't find the article; but there is a summary in this 2004 article from the Larchmont Chronicle.