View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:58 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
A two hundred year old, deeply-ingrained industrial system based on the lowest form of economic development, that being natural resource extraction, has very much to do with a state's social problems.
I feel you've proven my point. If St. Louis (or Missouri) only relied on a single industry to sustain its economy - it too would be up shit creek without a paddle - socially and economically.

Keep in mind that coal is mined all across the world, and yes, it is a dirty business. However, Appalachia is not in the shape it's in because of coal.

If what you suggest is true, then a lack of forward-thinking leadership, educational attainment and economic diversification are the likely key culprits of W.V.'s economic and social woes - not coal. And if what you say is true, then W.V. leadership should pursue more new economy jobs such as healthcare, IT, technology, finance, green jobs etc. along with more old economy jobs.

There may be a coal mindset in W.V. because coal is simply what they know best and it doesn't require a high skill set unless you are a "suit". In most cases, you don't have to have a college degree to mine coal. Why get a degree if there's an abundance of coal mine jobs waiting? I get your point, but still maintain that coal is not the problem - the mindset is. The coal will be mined even if the mindset changes AND it would continue to be a big industry for West Virginia if there's demand for it.

Last edited by Arch City; May 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM.