View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Looks fantastic.

Do you know where I could find the answer to the following questions...

-What is the break down of the new housing? How many of the new units are listed as market rate and how many units are reserved for replacement public housing?

-Will the number of public housing units increase, decrease or stay about the same?

-How successful have the market rate units been?

-Are the market rate units listed as for sale, rental, or a combination of both?

-What are the qualifications to become eligible for the public housing units (is there a graduated scale of income caps for particular units and/or family sizes)?

-How much retail is being included and are there any other mixed uses such as office space?
You can do a search yourself, but I couldn't really find any details beyond what I posted here.

Quote:
This project is far better than the vast majority of public housing replacement projects underway in the US. I genuinely want know if the financing, programing and housing mix is any different.
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that well-off Americans are less conducive to living amongst poorer people and near public housing projects. In Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal it is quite common to have poor, middle-class, and wealthy people all in the same neighbourhood.

New York City has loads of areas that could use this treatment - even in Manhattan. In fact, they look almost identical to pre-revitalization Regent Park (cross-shaped brown buildings, no balconies, very little retail, unused grassy spaces between the sidewalk and the buildings, few and far between thru-streets), only in New York they are much taller thus more densely populated. Yet I haven't seen any recent proposals to tear any of them down and give them this kind of treatment.