View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 12:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm floored that 40% of the country thinks like this. I know at this point, I shouldn't be, but still, wow.

I recently had a business call with a very highly educated, establishment gentleman with intergenerational wealth, residing in a rural, deep-red section of the country. He truly believes that America's cities are smoldering, anarchic ruins, analogous to Mogadishu or Benghazi. Meanwhile, from my window there are $4 million 2 bedrooms on sale a block away, and packed children's playgrounds.

It's very hard to sustain nationhood when there are two realities.
how's the reality, a blog from an academic at U of Washington, not "fox news"

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/...-restored.html

Quote:
Take a walk around downtown Seattle. You will be shocked by a shuttered, dystopian city and made angry by the inaction and ineptness of its political leadership. It is simply beyond words.
Quote:
Sunday morning I took a two-hour walk across downtown Seattle and I was stunned by what I saw.
Block after block of boarded up stores, restaurants, and other buildings. A city in lockdown and afraid.

Many stores and businesses were covered in plywood. Some had impressive, three-dimensional triangular structures that I suppose offers more protection. Really looked like the ramparts of some medieval castle. Security guards were everywhere (see below).
Quote:
What didn't I see on my two-hour walk? Not a single police officer. Not one police car.

A boarded up central core of a major U.S. city was being left to the homeless, drug dealers, and security guards. Even the most notorious, crime-ridden corner of the city had no police. The streets of the city had become a fearful abandoned place.
Quote:
Violent individuals and groups have hidden within protest groups, attempting to destroy businesses both to deliver a political message of fear and to loot their contents. Dozens of police have been seriously injured by bottles and fireworks, or partially blinded by lasers. Even in my neighborhood, graffiti calling for the killing of police have been sprayed at a prominent location. No city can remain healthy if such anti-social activities are allowed to continue unchecked.

There has also been efforts to intimidate our city's political and civil leadership by taking rancorous protests to their homes, bringing fear to family and neighbors.

So how could a major world-class city, home to some of the most important businesses and academic institutions on the planet, allow itself to be crippled and demeaned this way? How could city and state leaders allow the undermining of the foundations of physical safety and rule of law that are the basic prerequisites of any functioning society?
reality is that downtown chicago was trashed last night by looters

reality is that Portland has had 70 days of violent riots (by the way the feds have left but the riots continue, whats up with that)

some reading for you, don't worry its the Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/u...-protests.html

reality is that downtown seattle had yet more violence and riots over the weekend

but hey as long as it stays on the other side of 4th avenue, eh