View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Most people can agree that Vancouver's skyline is too much of a tabletop, and can use more buildings around 500'-700'. The ones who say that Vancouver should build a 1200-footer, or claim with a straight face that certain proposals there should be several times taller, tend to be from Toronto. Knowing this forum, I suspect they want for Vancouver what the CN tower did to Toronto's skyline in terms of size perception.
I do think towers in the 500 to maybe 800 foot range would do the most in terms of making the skyline more interesting. And I LAO wouldn't straight up advocate for a 1000 foot tower, but I don't think it would ruin the skyline either. In the absence of 500-800 foot towers I guess it probably would though.

What I think is more the issue is that Vancouver is now missing an iconic building that defines the skyline. Calgary has the Calgary Tower, Toronto has the CN tower, NY has the empire state building, etc. Vancouver used to have the Harbour Centre as the defining building, but now, so many buildings have been built up to a similar height around it that it barely stands out any more.
I think any city needs to have a distinct building in the silhouette of the skyline.
It doesn't necessarily need to be that tall, just distinct looking and tall enough to stand out amongst the other buildings. Which in Vancouver's case is probably now around at least 700 feet.