View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I did not travel to the U.S. with my family until I was well past the age of 10. As i was an early bloomer with lots of societal awareness even as a very young teen I was very observant already.

As I mentioned in another post I'd had many years of exposure to U.S. culture at that point so arriving in the U.S. was kind of like stepping into the TV set.

My kids have had the experience of foreign travel for as long as they can remember so the U.S. and other foreign countries have just been "as they are" for them and there weren't really any epiphany or eureka moments for them when they visited. Given their age back then and the absence of preconceived notions and expectations.
Totally off topic, but this reminds me of a story I read years ago of an local inner city school that took the kids on a school trip to the US... for most of the kids, some of whom were from other countries, it was their first time leaving Canada. The article mentioned that some of the kids expressed disappointment when they entered the US and they were met by North Dakota wheatfields that didn't look any different from Manitoba instead of the big NYC-style urban skyscraper scene that they were expecting... a lot was learned on that day