View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:52 PM

Broadway history tours, historic preservation and Raymond Chandler's noir 1920s LA

Martin Pal's post about Broadway tours reminds me to share video of several recent free tours in the Broadway on My Mind series that Esotouric's Richard Schave has given, with some fascinating guest historians, following the free monthly LAVA Sunday Salon. These tours are meant to raise awareness of Broadway's delicate architectural ecosystem, which we believe is in danger of being harmed by forthcoming work on the Streetscape Master Plan. If you couldn't walk with us, we hope you can join us through the magic of the internet.

Tour #1 - July 2013: Guides are Nick Matonak (LA Historic Theatre Foundation), Mike the PoeT and Richard Schave (Esotouric/LAVA). South Broadway, between 6th and 8th Streets: Wurlitzer Building, St. Vincent Court, Palace Theater and Yorkshire Apartments.

Tour #2 - August 2013: Broadway on My Mind tour guides are Donald Spivack (CRA), Brian Kaiser (tile historian), Michelle Gerdes, Steve Gerdes & David Saffer (LA Historic Theatre Foundation), Mike the PoeT and Richard Schave & Kim Cooper (Esotouric/LAVA). South Broadway, between 5th and 6th Streets: theaters, retail, Ernest Batchelder's Dutch Chocolate Shop, Spring Arcade Building.

Tour #3 - September 2013: Broadway on My Mind tour guides are Donald Spivack (CRA), Nathan Marsak (aka beaudry - On Bunker Hill/1947project), Ed Rosenthal (the poet broker) and Richard Schave (Esotouric/LAVA), with a musical interlude from Flannery Lunsford. South Broadway, between 9th and 8th Streets: theaters, retail, Clifton's Cafeteria, Hamburger's Department Store, Eastern Columbia Building, United Artists Theatre.

The walking tour series is on a brief hiatus, but if you're interested in offbeat LA faith, this Sunday's free talk on Aleister Crowley's OTO may intrigue. Coming soon: video from the Poem Noir edition of Broadway on My Mind, featuring poets reading their darkest verses in the Bradbury Building!

Every year, Esotouric curates a survey of the state of historic preservation in Los Angeles, with ten success stories, ten losses, and five bittersweet situations that teeter in the middle. 25 for 2013 is here.

Finally, just wanted to pull the collective Noirish LA sleeve to The Kept Girl, the fact-based mystery novel starring the young Raymond Chandler, his devoted secretary, and the real-life LA cop who is a likely model for Philip Marlowe, on the trail of a cult of murderous angel worshippers. The book is available for Subscription to the deluxe edition through Christmas, and available in all the usual places on February 1. You can expect some very noirish readings and blog posts to accompany the release. Book newsletter link is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I have not seen Race/LA mentioned on this forum thread before; do any of you guys know about it?... I decided to mention it today because of this announcement... City of Los Angeles asks Race/LA to create new "Best of Broadway" CityRace....Hope this is of interest to those who frequent this thread. Perhaps we could inspire them to do a Noirish L.A. Race! I don't think they've done one at night before!