Thread: McCaig Tower
View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2011, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
They're also doing some renovations to the front entrance to the main tower, new stone facade and also renos inside (Good Earth was moved into a corner while the area they were in is redone).
The Foothills entry foyer is actually being expanded, adding square footage between the emergency entry and the main entry. Looks like the additional space will have a lot of glass and follows a curving line. It eats up a little patch of grass and bush (and one overgrown tree that I recall) - it was dead space.

The Good Earth has actually not moved but been closed - the coffee stand is being run by the same company that does the other cafeterias at Foothills (IE the garden deli (main floor at the base of the special services building) and the timberline (ground floor)).

Not sure what the plan is for a coffee shop at the entry of Foothills after the construction. I'm thinking that it may actually reside in the expanded space - but not sure if it will be Good Earth, the FMC cafeteria folks, or someone else. Whoever it is, they'll be raking it in. That Good Earth used to have a continuous line for their entire hours of operation!

When done, the entry spaces will still be very small for a complex of this size, but will certainly be better than what has been there. As an aside, it wasn't always quite so tight between emergency and the main foyer. Some years ago, there was a need for more spaces, and so the wide hallway (which used to extend all the way to the front windows) was cannibalized - the new width being not much more than just a regular hallway.

Regarding McCaig, much of the building remains shelled space. I do believe more things are planned to move this year, however, much of it will remain for future expansion.

With respect to spaces and design, my observations of the expansion at Peter Lougheed were similar - nice larger and brighter spaces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
That looks like a very warm and pleasant place, makes dealing with the reason you are there a little easier. I spent a lot of time two years back in the old tower visiting my dad as he was dying of brain cancer and I can say the experience would have been slightly better in a place that looked like that.
Sorry to hear about your father. Foothills does provide exceptional care, but spaces can also make a difference. It was a celebrated design at one point in history (first board formed in 1959 I believe, with it opening in 1966).