View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But even so, due to TV, movies, magazines and books, I had the U.S. all figured out (or at least I thought I did) before I ever set foot there and spoke to a live American. In some ways I probably knew more about the U.S. than I knew about Canada - and I was far from the only one. In spite of the relative lack of close American family members, I was significantly more Americanized than my parents were - especially for one of my parents who grew up in a 100% francophone Acadian town in New Brunswick.

Today's generations are probably quite similar. They're paradoxically closer than ever to Americans in many ways in spite of the growing disconnect you're referring to.
Yes! This is my experience as well and what I was alluding to in my longer post a couple of pages back.

To carry it forward to today and for the immediate future, this familiarity can also have the effect of breeding contempt (Trumpism seems to be a good example that I keep coming back to) that helps to drive us away from 'becoming American' and drives us towards embracing our perceived Canadian values (or at least what we want them to be) even further.

Great topic, by the way. It has been the most interesting read on this forum in a long time.