View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A number of interesting points were brought up, but perhaps the most intriguing idea was for a third (pedestrian and bicycle) crossing of the Petitcodiac, connecting the east end of Riverview directly to downtown Moncton.

I envisage such a bridge could look a lot like the existing pedestrian bridge across the mouth of Hall's Creek connecting Moncton and Dieppe. What do other people think?
From my Google Maps eye, the Riverview gazebo (the end of the trail) is ~350 m from the nearest point in Moncton (@ Rodd Park Inn). Any idea what a bridge that length would cost?

I love the idea -- I wish these types of projects would come to fruition, but I don't see it happening.

1. Insert environmental questions.

2. The province can't justify it. Have they even committed to rebuilding the causeway? That comes first, and they should invest in making it ped-bike-friendly. They're also even too cheap to spend a couple grand on placing expansion joint covers on Gunningsville to allow bicycles on the roadway, which would make it much safer when heading south.

3. Moncton can't justify it. Over the past decade, they've done a lot of good work on trails. To much controversy, they reduced car lanes on Salisbury and Shediac. Nobody uses these things. Some trails see more wildlife than humans. I suspect that the average resident would rather get a tax break to buy a bigger car, a more comfy couch and more gas to burn waiting in a Tim's drive-thru.

3a. Money for 10-20 people to cross the river, but no money to pay bus drivers that hundreds (thousands?) rely on?

3b. If they are going to spend money on trails and bike lanes, they should focus on Lewisville, Mountain and traffic circles at the causeway and at Main/Champlain first.

But if they build it, I won't complain.