View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 7:59 PM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
Yo, ProphetM.
You and I are completely simpatico on the points you mentioned right down to Sterling being a major bee-hatch.
I grieve the loss of the Lugo House every time it crosses my mind. Maybe every other day.
My point being is that this intrusive architecture is more of the same. It tells me that we're losing the preservation battle. People care more about issues in a modern, emotional light and let history be damned. It makes Sterling look like a saint.
I also agree that the mural should be featured and protected. As I said it has now become part of the story. I only object to the intrusive modern design. At the very least, out of respect, it should blend. That's my main objection.
What they have built is an insult to the spirit of La Plaza.
Might as well bulldoze the whole thing and let Gloria Molina recreate it in her own image.

I am all for murals (as an artist myself I appreciate them very much), but really, this thing they put up is just stomach churning, you can not miss it, there is no trying or even thinking about avoiding it, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.
It is disrespect in architectural form.

Speaking of murals, my memory sucks, but has this been covered recently here?

http://blogdowntown.com/2012/06/6825...oved-relocated

Again, I like murals, but I want to see the original facade restored much much more. They currently have a big sheet over the building, they have taken the mural off, and you can sorta see behind the sheet at the right angles and see what looks like glazed yellowish terra cotta bricks. I will post some pictures tomorrow (unless my internet goes out, which frequently happens in the Alexandria).