View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
This is unfortunate, but I'm sure it will be pretty busy too. I agree with Ted that this would be good for the ground floor of one of the housing buildings. Maybe they'll move the Post Offices to one of them. I don't live by there so I don't know where a closer Post Office is, but I do know there is one in the Student Union.
In terms of the post office closing, it's not a huge loss. There's the location in the Student Union, the Sun Station on Speedway between Campbell and Tucson, and various private shipping places all around campus, including University Postal, Letter Box, the FedEx Office at Speedway and Tucson, and the UPS Store at Campbell and Broadway.

My initial concern was that the CVS would be a waste of valuable street frontage but I'm kind of rethinking that. I still believe a location in one of the new buildings would be ideal but all walkable urban environments need stores like CVS. I've brought up the need for a CVS/Walgreens downtown with people on multiple occasions as there is no store in the area that sells staple goods and, to an extent, the same is true of the university area.

There are grocery stores somewhat nearby, but not close enough to visit without a vehicle. So, what this provides is the general ability to live in one of the new apartment buildings and buy most of what you need on a daily basis without driving anywhere. That's a big plus for the neighborhood and I don't want to criticize a first mover for taking advantage of that.