View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:15 PM

A crucial part of planning for the future in any city is preserving your assets. West University IS an asset. Those homes represent a unique period of growth and architectural style in Tucson's history, and to demo them to slap a 4 story apartment complex in their place is absurd.

I agree with you Farmerk about the "ugly old apts" however those are not contributing structures in the historic district, and should be viewed as an example as to what happens when you knock down old homes and try to build something modern in its place. Whose to say yours and RitaRanchers similar idea wont end with the same result 20-30 years down the road? Im not sure where the "rundown" homes are in west university either... I would personally love to own a 1920s bungalow with a REAL yard and a REAL living space.

Im all for density and adding population to the area, its just unfortunate that WU is located where it is. There is plenty of prime empty lots surrounding 4th ave (especially to the west) that would be perfect for high density 10+ story residential. I can tell you that this is where a lot of developers are focusing their attention at the moment, due to the incentives in place because of the Downtown Gateway Redevelopment Area.