View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:59 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I lived in Southfield and I can't recall anything there that would qualify as "urban." It's quintessential postwar suburban. It's all malls, strip malls and subdivisions. The Civic Center was the original suburban office park.
I'm referring to the townhouses and residential tower at Civic Center Dr. and Evergreen. I said "relatively urban", not urban.

Quote:
No one, save people fleeing the violence of Detroit neighborhoods, sees Southfield as the ideal suburb.
Guess what, 26 year old white males aren't the only demographic worth courting. There are plenty of middle-class (black) families in Southfield. Even if some areas are becoming less desirable, there are plenty of middle-class areas that will remain so for long term.

Quote:
How the hell is Southfield supposed to basically rebuild an auto oriented area about the size of the Detroit CBD, if not larger, into a faux urban mixed use development?
The area of focus will be the land north of Civic Center Dr. between Evergreen and the Lodge. Is it really that difficult to imagine someone building a few multi-story buildings along Civic Center drive with retail on the first floor, and offices or residential above? They're not trying to create the next Birmingham. They're just trying to bring a struggling, but still viable area into modern times.