View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
There certainly is no reason why this has to be done one way.
Kornbread, you just said everything I wanted to in a much more eloquent way than the long rant I was preparing to respond to some of the posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
That's cool. You must enjoy disappointment.
Spoiler, you must enjoy mediocrity. Aiming for the middle means you land lower on the pole. Aim higher to end up higher. High expectations lead to innovation, beauty, and end results that raise the bar. San Antonio is a city that likes to say, "this is all we can get so let's just take it" and it is one of the most frustrating things I've dealt with since coming home. I'm proud to have the highest expectations for the city, for myself, and for those around me.

Now, I'll admit that I've only seen one elevation so I'm still not 100% sure how this thing is going to shape up or interact with its environment. My thoughts are based on the single shot and the final product could be much more engaging that what I see in my head. That said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Across the street from this thing is a security fence for FSH.
I'm not saying that they should have built a 50 story building that towers over the fort or that its wall should sit right on the fence or anything else that threatens our relationship with the post. There are ways to design for a natural or artificial barrier that are respectful but provide for foot/bike traffic. The front of the building could have been oriented to Brackenridge Ave with a toned down and respectful facade or Embrey could have designed 3 sides to be oriented to the streets and the rear/loading/mechanical to face the Fort. Look at the Vistana for an idea of what I mean (obviously not the size, just the layout).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I just don't know what kind of development you guys were expecting that would be fiesable.
I wasn't picturing anything radical. This is a four story development. The 1800, Can Plant, and Cevallos are four floors. This isn't a height issue. My displeasure is with what I imagine the site plan to be based on the rendering. This thing looks like the Meridian (another Embrey product) which is fine in a more suburban context.

I'm not saying this needed to be built with a streetscape designed for a Parisian boulevard, but I believe this area has the potential to be a much denser environment as envisioned in the Midtown Master Plan - http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/n...MasterPlan.pdf.

This site and those around it have so much potential to be street oriented buildings which promote walking, cycling, and community building. That can happen in a neighborhood of four story buildings. If the rents are already $1.45 per sf and Pearl is pushing $2 then there is money to made here in the medium term. This area will be redeveloped and those 6 complexes around this site will be gone someday. I would like for it to be a connected neighborhood, not one behind gates and walls.

Cevallos is in a very similar situation with low income properties around it and a railroad acting as a barrier. NRP built it anyway. The beauty is its first floor units on Cevallos St. open up right onto the street like a brown stone. I don't think that's too radical to wish for.

Last edited by WorldTexas; Mar 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM.