View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
No doubt, there are probably a dozen surface parking lots in downtown Wilmington within a 5-min walk to Rodney Square (and then there's also a few big garages with very minimal street impact. Fixing those dead zones would probably make a much greater impact than one 400-500ft tower. (But I'd also love to see a new tallest; interesting note, I didn't realize that the River Tower at 340ft (completed 2007, one of the 2 residential high rises on the Riverfront) is the tallest building in Wilmington. Chase Manhattan Centre downtown at 330ft is #2 (completed in 1988).
Yeah, I was just on Emporis searching on Wilmington and it said the River Tower was 340ft tall. Wikipedia was wrong so I fixed it. But even though the River Tower @ Christina Landing is 25-27 floors, to me, the Chase Manhattan Center looks taller. Although there is a section on top of the river tower that makes it taller but it's only visible from further away.

About the whole "Wilmington doesn't need a skyscraper yet", I do agree with the fact that some dead zones do need to be filled up with something (I haven't seen anything going on with the 1300 Market Street Building that's suppose to be converting to a Marriott this summer though) But I do think that It's been a long time since Wilmington has gotten a tower and I think that considering so many cities are getting crazy skyscraper booms (Last time I drove through Philly, it had like 20 skyscrapers under construction and the renderings made Philly look to be twice as big!). I'm not saying it's desperate for Wilmington to get some skyscrapers, or that it needs a lot, I'm just saying that it would obviously be cool, but better yet, it would possibly attract more business's, it would make Wilmington simply look more attractive and I think that sometime soon, we should get some more towers. Yes, the lower rise building Wilmington has been getting will help increase population and living there but at the same time, Wilmington should be getting some vertical growth if these projects are successful.

Also, colonial parking has plenty of sites around wilmington for possible development of skyscrapers (including the 509ft 35floor rendering near Jefferson Street and Delaware Avenue) so it's not like theres no possible chance for vertical growth, it's just that I have to be patient for these smaller but needed projects to finish. I just got like that about the skyscrapers cause I was frustrated that we have not been getting much vertical growth recently thats all.