View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Yep, it's annoying to watch City Hall get busted in the Transformers trailer and having everybody think it's in Paris...it's because all these shows are set in NYC and LA that NYC and LA get all the, uh, yuppie tourism. Philadelphia is perceived as having a certain 'attitude' and that 'attitude' suits shows like Cold Case fine, but not something like Friends? WTF? You could have a truly transcendental TV show about a bunch of barflies at the Standard Tap but nobody'd watch it and realize it's set in Northern Liberties at first...

EDIT: Is 'Always Sunny' helping South Philly's cause in this way?
I work in the film industry here in Philadelphia. In fact, this year alone I worked on three productions that were shot in Philly but set in NYC. There are smaller films (The Nail, starring Tony Luke Jr., Cafe, starring Jennifer Love Hewitt) that are both shot and set in Philly. While these smaller films most likely will not have a great impact on Philly's image, it's a very good thing that bigger productions (How Do You Know? - the name of the Reese Witherspoon movie, Transformers 2) are bringing big name talent from LA and NYC into our city and showing them its potential. Philly is a much cheaper and easier city to shoot in. And the variety of looks you can get within a 15 minute drive from CC are simply unavailable in the two filmmaking meccas. As the film industry in Philly grows, as it has since 2000, I truly believe we'll start to see stories not only being shot, but being set in Philly.