View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Earlier this week, I walked past the construction site for the 32 story tower at 9th/Olive and noticed a red brick wall which was revealed via excavation on the Hill street side of the lot.

The location is in the top right corner of the yellow outlined area.

I was wondering if anyone knows what was on this parcel before it became a parking lot? Figured you guys are probably my best shot at an answer.

Based on the picture from Historic Aerials, this has been a surface parking lot since at least 1948.
I think you may be looking at some remnants of the old Hotel Percival which stood on the site as early as 1924. The Percival faced Hill Street and was one or two lots north of 9th street. Here's a shot looking north up Hill from 9th in '24...

View of Hill Street looking north from 9th Street, ca.1924

Photograph of a view of Hill Street looking north from 9th Street, ca.1924. The intersection ahead appears to be a bit congested with cars and cable car traffic. Legible signs include: "Hotel Percival and apartments, weekly rates", "Hill Street Theatre, [...]eum Circuit, [...] feature photoplays, [...] continuous 11:30 A.M., [...] value shows", "all [...], sewing machine, rented and repaired", "fruit and ice cream", "9th and Hill auto park driveway", "concerning this property, see exclusive agents, Joe Toplitery Co., telephone 878-451, 205 Herman W. Hellman Bldg.", "25¢, 35¢", "cars washed, polished, expert mechanical work done, parking, open all [...], "Los Angeles Desk [...], 7 floors of service, office furniture headquarters", "Hotel Alpine", "Matheson".

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960/Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960

And, by the way, don't you just love all the Five-Globe Llewellyns in this shot? great.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Mar 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM. Reason: noting the Llewellyns.