View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
They HAVE to put an observatory deck at the top of this tower. It's the last super tall in this part of the city. Should we start a petition??
In an era of terrorism, decks open to the public are a huge risk. And they virtually require one or more elevators to service them alone (in a high end residential building, people paying that kind of money for an apartment wouldn't want to crowd into the elevator to get home with packs of tourists).

Even in all-office buildings, there are issues. The one trial in which I served as a juror involved a woman who was raped in an office building downtown arguing that the building OWNER was responsible because they allowed access to the building to the rapist (this in a building with many offices serving the public) and thus failed in a duty to provide security.

I'm sure that for both residential HOAs and the residents they represent and for commercial building owners and managers, there's almost nothing to be gained and a lot of hastle by having a building-top deck unless it can be combined with some function that makes money like a restaurant/bar. Even then, however, the recent record is that it isn't worth it (several such plaaces having closed).

I don't expect to see any observation decks in new towers.