View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
On the other hand, there are other routes like the 104 or 122 that would probably more remind you of the "brown" routes in NS.

There are some sections of 100-series in NS that slow to a crawl (Antigonish), but they're at least still bypasses per se. On the other hand, there are definitely portions of the "green" system in NB that still go through the middle of towns (Caraquet), and would be trunk routes in NS...3, 4, 10, 17, 11 along the Acadian Peninsula, maybe 8. On the other hand, the only NS 100-series route (that I've been on, at least) that is mostly non-controlled access is 105.

I'd say the comparison would go something like this (hope the formatting works):

NB PRIMARY.............| COLLECTOR.......| LOCAL.........|
NS 100-SERIES....| TRUNK ........| COLLECTOR.....| unsigned
That comparison sounds pretty much bang on. I've never been on the 104 or 122 in NB (at least, not that I can recall). The 100-series in NS has come a long way. When the numbering system first came into play, it was far from a "freeway" or "bypass". Now however, with the exception of 105 as you said, it's mostly controlled access freeways, whether divided or not.

As for NS trunks, they tend to go through the heart of small and major towns on their way. That's why the 100, 102 and 105 in NB reminded me so much of NS Trunks. Here's the trunks and the major towns they go through (I'm not cross-referencing with population, so forgive my use of the word "major" in some of these cases).

Trunk 1
Bedford (starts)
Lower Sackville
Windsor
Wolfville
New Minas
Kentville
Kingston
Cornwallis
Yarmouth (ends at Ferry Terminal)

Trunk 2
Halifax (starts following Barrington St - Bedford Hwy)
Bedford
Truro
Springhill
Amherst (follows S. Albion St - LaPlanche St, ends at LaPlanche St Overpass of Hwy 104)

Trunk 3
Halifax (starts following St. Margaret's Bay Rd)
Timberlea
Chester
Lunenburg
Bridgewater
Yarmouth (ends at Starrs Rd/Main St intersection)

Trunk 4
Truro
Bible Hill
New Glasgow
Port Hawkesbury
Sydney River
Sydney
Glace Bay (ends at Union St/Main St intersection)

Trunk 6
Amherst (starts following Victoria St)
ends at Pictou Rotary (just outside town)

Trunk 7
Starts just outside Bedford
Dartmouth (following Windmill Rd, Alderny Dr, Prince Albert Dr, Main St)
Lake Echo
Porter's Lake
Ends at Intersection with Hwy 104 just outside Antigonish

Trunks 8, 10, 12, and 14 are connector trunks between Hwy 103 and 101, and don't seem to go through anything, though they start and end near "major" towns. Trunk 16 serves Guysborough County between Monastery and Larry's River, and, well, even calling Guysborough Town major would be stretching it. Trunk 19 is a similar story, just substitute "Inverness" where I said "Guysborough" before.

Trunk 22
Sydney (starts on George St, winds through Mira cottage country to get to Louisbourg where it ends)

Trunk 28
Sydney (following Victoria Rd)
New Waterford
Dominion
Glace Bay (follows Main St, and South St to end of street)

Trunk 30 is the Cabot Trail, Trunk 32 is a short trunk that mostly follows NW Arm Dr in Halifax from what I can gather, and Trunk 33 is another short trunk between Trunk 7 (Magazine Hill) and Hwy 101.

Collectors in NS are shorter (usually) versions of Trunks with even lower standards of design and maintenance (as scary as that sounds).