View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I honestly can't believe that this building is completed. I remember when I first saw this building it gave me a huge interest in architecture. It was this building that made love architecture and start following these forums. It's pretty cool to think that most of the World Trade Center is now open "completed".
Hmm, whilst I don't mean to diminish your enthusiasm, I would say that calling 'most' of the WTC 'open' or 'completed' is still a bit of a overstatement. Here's a recap of where everything stands as far as I know:

7 WTC is completed and has been open for a while.

4 WTC is completed, in the sense that the building is finished, minus internal build-outs which IMO don't count as building construction. The infrastructure is done.

1 WTC is almost done. The east facade is still not complete, the lobbies are not complete and they're still finishing up the internal infrastructure. I think it'll be a few more months until we can really mark this as complete (minus internal build-outs of course).

2 WTC is a stump and is so far from complete that it's not even under active construction anymore.

3 WTC is slowly growing, and will be a few more years before it's ready.

The PATH Terminal is roughly 60% done, with 1 open platform. They're on to the finishing touches of the PATH hall and the Occulus is coming together nicely.

The Westfield Mall (or whatever it's technically called) is underway in phases, and is looking really nice in the sections that are being finished up.

The 9/11 Memorial is completed and open.

The 9/11 Museum is completed and open.

The Vehicle Security Center should be nearing completion in the next few months. Liberty Park and the Greek Orthodox Church which sit above it are beginning to take shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
That's what I've always thought... Do you think it could ever be a possibility down the road? Or will they fill available space with various satellite dishes and antennae? Also... If they did open an obs deck on the rings... would the signal exposure be unhealthy?
I'm sure the views from the Observation Deck will be spectacular, but I agree that I miss the open air roof deck of 2 WTC. In that regard, I think the ESB and 30 Rock will always trump 1 WTC, because you can go outside. Looking through a window is cool, but feeling the wind in your hair makes you feel like you're flying. Plus the inside / windows can get loud and stuffy while an outdoor space will always feel free. Not including this was one of the many big blunders of this tower I think.