View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:41 PM

For years as I've lived and worked in Hollywood and L.A.'s Westside, I've taken walks through the neighborhoods. One of the things that has always fascinated me on these walks are the stamps in the concrete left there by the Contractor. When I lived in Venice, the stamps were dated back to the 20's. Now that I live here in Westchester (by the airport), most of the stamps are post war, 46-50 or so. Just to start things off, I'll post a few I took on my corner because they are replacing the old curb with a new wheelchair friendly one. And gone will be a few stamps. So I thought I'd run out and snap them today. Here's my street with it's stamp there at the bottom.

[IMG] IMG_1737 by KevinWCuts, on Flickr[/IMG]

As you can see, the sidewalk was laid in 1946 (or is that an 8?) by J.A. Thompson, Contractor and inspected on Jan 14, 1946 by R.Lawrence.

[IMG] IMG_1736 by KevinWCuts, on Flickr[/IMG]

Funny thing is, the corner wasn't laid until 4 years later by, J.A. Thompson and Son. Here's the corner that's being replaced:

[IMG] IMG_1739 by KevinWCuts, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the stamps on the edges:

[IMG] IMG_1738 by KevinWCuts, on Flickr[/IMG]

I guess the concrete business got huge in the post war years so J.A. Thompson got his son into the family biz.

[IMG] IMG_1740 by KevinWCuts, on Flickr[/IMG]

Goodbye old corner of Georgetown and 85th Pl. At least now you'll be handycapable.

[IMG] IMG_1741 by KevinWCuts, on Flickr[/IMG]