View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 11:16 AM

Apologies if these images don't show up straight away. It took about six previews before I could see all of them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post

Is it for certain it was in Beverly Hills? Wondering because I found a reference to the Union Service Center in 1961 at 5250 W. Imperial Highway. It was the United Auto Workers Local 887 meeting hall.

Could that be it?
5251 W. Imperial Highway via Googlemobile looks like the building reflected in the windows...
Thank you so much, NCD, I think you've nailed it. Beverly Hills was given as the location for Earl Scheib's neon globe, but there may have been one at every branch.

Here's a detail view from the third image. Look at the building across the street.

Getty Research Institute

And here's the building currently on the north side of W Imperial Highway.

GSV

I'm pretty sure that the Union Service Center building is in the middle of the 1980 view below. Unfortunately, it seems to have been wiped out by the El Segundo Freeway.

Historic Aerials

BTW. The architects (if known) are usually named in the title of the Shulman photosets, but in this case their names were omitted. The description lists them as Smith and Williams.