View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 6:54 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
eloquently written post, dante. where are you from originally?

i disagree with you on a couple of points. i really hope for atlanta follows a chicago model of development in the future, rather than the los angeles model you're basically speaking of. it's probably safe to say atlanta already has a much higher percentage of jobs outside the core than chicago does compared to its suburbs, and possibly even a higher raw number. to be sure, i'm definitely not arguing against improving and creating better satellite cities, i'm just suggesting the metro focus everything on the center.

i'm sure you're also aware of the reasons the forum is so anti-freeway; they've done so much damage to the fabric of so many cities already! the connector is a spectacle; sure it's an amazing piece of engineering in the same way a jet engine is, but who the hell wants to observe a jet engine in operation constantly? i would absolutely love to see the connector buried or downgraded to a larger boulevard in the future, and 285 beefed up to handle the diversion. is it gonna happen anytime soon? hell no... but we can all dream.

np: the flashbulb - lucid bass iii
Thank you cabasse. I'm from Jamaica and I have been trying to keep up a Jamaica thread in this forum, but unfortunately it seems that there is not enough interest despite the number of projects going up in my homeland.

Anyhow, I understand the anti-highway sentiment. I really think that we should not throw out the baby with the bathwater though. Without the multitude highways, there really wouldn't be any way that Atlanta would have gotten to be such a regional powerhouse. Without the highways, Atlanta wouldn't even have been considered for all these wonderful projects we see filling the forums. The highways were cut through communities and were somewhat politically and racially motivated, I know, but that doesn't necessarily mean that highways themselves are all bad.

I think people tend to reach for the past nostalgically when they see the problems that new technologies cause instead of trying to integrate them better into our society. We have highways and we have cars and they are on some levels better than the trains and foot travel that came before them. We should find a way to reach our goals without sacrificing too much of something else.

For example, I think cars should be run electrically and charged by an alternative energy power grid. That way, we don't have to deal with the pollution they cause and our crippling oil dependence. The technology is there and developing and wouldn't incur any real loss.

I think that we should continue to favor air travel over high speed rail. I'm an aerospace major so I may be biased, but aircraft are really a form of mass transit when it comes down to it. A train will most likely run on fossil fuels and slow commute times to any destination outside of 500 miles even if the infrastructure were put in place. Aircraft run on kerosene and will swiften our economy by connecting the broad scale of our nation on a scale of a few hours. There is a cost incurred by the airports and the burning of kerosene, but that is mitigated by the improving efficiency of each new generation of aircraft and the economic benefit the create. More economy means more tax revenue to pay for the services you and I like. Of course, for trips under 500 miles, where feasible, alternatives like HSR should be available.

In no way am I specifically anti-transit or pro-highway. I'm pro Atlanta and pro human society. I would like the best for everyone if possible and if that means a mix of several options, then we should explore everything. Even the highways and malls have their purposes.

I also think that the center of the city should be focused on, but definitely not the only place we focus on. Most people do not live in the center so developments should not be reserved for Atlanta proper. As traffic becomes more and more horrid, suburbanites will be less likely to make the trip into the city and will demand, and receive, amenities in their bedroom communities. Instead of fighting it, we should try to make new development as positive as possible for the communities they impact. We should encourage an Atlanta Region that is not a city but a systems of cities as it is already becoming. That support means new transit alternatives connecting the nodes including transit, roads, and good zoning regulations.

Last edited by dante2308; Dec 16, 2006 at 8:14 AM.