View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:43 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
This depends. The organization I work at opened up an office in the IE, so now the handful of employees that used to travel all the way to DTLA don't go west of the 15 freeway. That's at 3 vehicles not crowding LA County . Could reverse commuting become worse since many would rather live on the trendy LA side rather than the IE? Maybe a little, but I think you'd mostly see parts of the IE become more "cool" (some already are like Riverside). People will just stay in their local area and come to LA on occasion. Similar to what a lot of Orange County is like now. There is a commuter rail line that goes from the IE to OC (missing Los Angeles County entirely) and it's as packed as the commuter trains heading into DTLA.
Lawmakers and planners in San Bernardino, Riverside, and possibly the eastern edges of LA County have to decide how they want the IE to develop in the future. A lot of land is still available, but it may not be helpful if all of it is set up again with just SFHs, strips, and highways. If I was a planner, I would maintain the multi-nodal nature and add a significant amount of multi-family units and apartments/ mixed buildings. The freeways would still be around, but also an increase in public transportation in the form of buses and eventually local light rail if it gets even bigger. Essentially, building it the way central LA and urban OC is already.

As for traffic to LA, honestly, if offices are placed for IE residents in the IE, LA would just be a weekend destination. That’s how it is with me and many people I know who also live here. Just to put things into perspective, I’m planning on going to town this weekend. The last time I did that was the past summer.