View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 4:42 PM
PasadenaMan

from the spot that used to hold a hanging lantern there's a bracket holding a wire of some sort.

__[/QUOTE]

I remember as a child ridding through those tunnels. The wire may be a leftover element of a onetime project to bring radio reception inside of the tunnels. I remember being interested in this project as a child. I later went on to be a broadcast engineer so the interest stuck. I would say this project was done between 1959 to maybe 1962? It was billed to the public as a safety issue. One could not hear the traffic reports on the AM car radios when inside of the tunnels. I remember having my Dad test this new innovation shortly after it was implemented. I recall being disappointed as it did nothing for the reception for our car radio.

I do remember the hanging lights along side of the tunnels. I also recall that the lighting was improved within the tunnels during the mid fifties. At one time there was a single light fixture spaced about every 20 at the crest of the bore. Those fixtures were removed and two rows of fluorescent lights were added at about the ten and two o'clock positions at the top of the bore.

Why I remember these things I don't really know, yet many times I can't remember where I put down my car keys!

Gary Dunn
Lind, WA.