View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:42 AM

Here are the last few Citizens Trust & Savings Bank branches that I found.

This is the branch in Westwood Village, seen here in 1931. Most of the buildings in the full panorama shot are still there, but this one has gone

Detail from panoramic picture at Huntington Digital Library

A close-up of the entrance.

LAPL

The Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank in Leimert Park opened on March 29, 1930.

Detail from panoramic picture at Huntington Digital Library

The panoramic shot has some great details such as the public address system truck and band waiting to play. Sadly, virtually none of the buildings (like the Mesa Vernon Market, gas stations and diner) are still standing. The detail below shows the banner over Crenshaw Boulevard which promises movie stars and Vaudeville acts.

USC even has an architect's sketch of this building.

USC Digital Library

I didn't find any pictures of the movie stars and Vaudeville acts, but here are the lights promised by the banner. I think the large arrow on the right is part of the opening display.

USC Digital Library

This lovely building used to stand on the corner of West Washington and West View Streets. It has since been replaced by a building called Westside Manor. I think the house on the left may be a survivor.

USC Digital Library

The interior had a high ceiling with interesting light fixtures.

I'll finish up with the branch on Wilshire.

USC Digital Library

In case you didn't recognize its neighbor, the bank was right next to Coulter's Department Store.

USC Digital Library

The Bonner & Campbell Insurance Company was still in the building when the picture below was taken, but the tiled roof and the bank's roof sign had gone. The site is now occupied by the California Federal Building as seen in e_r's posts here and here.

www.plummersearch.com

Did I miss any?