View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 7:21 AM
You can call me David

This thread continues to blow my mind, so many amazing photos, so much great information. It's been endlessly fascinating to hop on the Noir train to see these old images and learn the history behind places that I drive and walk past every day. I haven't recently, but only because I've been absorbed in reading the older pages (I'm on page 176 now!) and have been kind of waiting till I become "current", to avoid rehashing things that were already covered.

I have especially enjoyed the Ostrich Farm photos, the old Hollywood photos, all the great contributions about the Paris Inn, the restaurant images, match books, the gas stations, the gal photos, and the old maps. I've also liked the recent posts on Burbank, where I live! This is so great.

I've also been following the new pages, and loved the old Hollywood sign girls in the bucket photo. My wife and I do lots of hiking and exploring around L.A., and twice in the last 2 weeks, we've hiked from Burbank straight up the mountain (very steep!) to Cahuenga Peak and the Hollywood sign. The first time we hiked right down the other side and trespassed through the Hollywoodland Girl's Camp to Canyon Ave., a block east of Bronson. We were right near the spot where the girls sat in that bucket.

General question: can anyone tell me how, outside of the web, I might find old info, plans, building permits, business name records, and such? My brother suggested Building & Safety. Should I try the Central Library? Other resources? I would like to find more info on the 1518/1520 Cahuenga building, and some other Hollywood addresses.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Mark_Twain.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomuchfire/5186095880/

I'm also curious about this place, the Mark Twain Hotel at 1622 Wilcox Ave. I'm sure it goes back to at least the 1930's. Haven't found much on web searches, USC, LAPL, etc. An interesting old building, now a transient hotel painted pink. The reviews are 1 star and review keywords seem to be scabies, crack heads, bedbugs, stains, heroin, crazy Indian owner, screaming, and spidery writing on walls. Maybe it was a nice place a few decades ago. I wonder if Mark Twain stayed there. Does anyone have an old photo of this place?

Oh: I've learned from this thread about the old double lamp posts, and see a similar one in the hotel photo? Has the city been bringing these back in some areas?

Another question: Does any have info or an old photo of 524 S. Main St? It's now a fun little place called Nickel Diner, but was also a diner in the old days, maybe a Woolworths cafeteria or coffee shop? I have been unable to find old any photos of it.

Before signing off, I must add that all the great Paris Inn posts reminded me of Robaire's (348 S. La Brea), another "visit the continent without leaving L.A." exotic locale type restaurant. I used to go there for Hollywood Sapphire Group Meetings and it was always fun. I think the space is now a restaurant called Ca'Brea, in a new building.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...NGOj_w&cad=rja

Thanks again, more later!

Last edited by 3940dxer; Dec 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM.