View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
It has only been 4 days since we viewed Russ Meyer's 1958 photo essay
Beauty and the Bust'
...[the bra buying trip to Paulette's Brassieres]

The 'Paulette' post reminded me that I had this photograph of Meyer's house stashed away in an old file of mine.
It shows the house, on Arrowhead Drive in Los Angeles, during the time Russ Meyer lived there in the 1970s.

In the heyday of video rentals, remember VHS tapes, Russ Meyer was a frequent customer at our West Hollywood location. (Video West had three locations.) A quiet and unassuming man, at least in that setting. We had purchased all of his available VHS titles (there were at least a dozen of them) directly from a company he (or his partners) had set up to do so. Interestingly enough, the Russ Meyer films were hugely popular with the mostly LGBT clientele in the West Hollywood store location. I recall the most popular titles being Faster Pussycat Kill Kill! and Mudhoney.

When I recall those days, I wish I'd paid more attention to some of the myriad of people who I crossed paths with at these stores, which were known for having, or finding, almost anything someone was interested in watching. I often wished I'd asked a few questions here and there! A couple of the more eclectic personages in this vein that I came in contact with there are Russ Meyer, David Hockney, Holly Woodlawn, Fawn Hall, Billy Hayes and Rudolf Nureyev.

P.S.: Something I didn't know about Russ Meyer... I was looking up a list of his films on IMDB just now and I noticed this bit of info: "He spent World War II in Europe as a combat cameraman." Maybe that caught my eye because I, and a couple friends, had just recently watched the three part documentary Five Came Back, about the five Hollywood directors who went off in WWII and made a good amount of films about the conflict along with shooting a huge amount of film, a lot of it in color, of this period, and how these experiences shaped their lives. (My friends say the book of Five Came Back, mostly text, is a lot better than the doc. series, although the footage is worth the viewing as a companion to the book. I haven't read it, but enjoyed the series.)