View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I agree completely, Orlando. I think the Zephyr Lofts are a mess.

And no, Delts, there's nothing happening there yet. Right now, most of that parking lot is being used by construction crews to access the Paper Box Lofts site.

Scott, I've been meaning to ask you how things are fairing with film production in the Salt Lake area these days? I noticed there was a lot of programming coming out of Utah this past Holiday Season. Any news lately about more studio/soundstages being developed this coming year or when COVID subsides?

I don't so much dislike the overall design/massing of the building. I do think that a better color palette could be chosen as Orlando suggested, especially when it's being propped up next to the iconic Dakota Lofts. Using a very similar palette to the handsome historical building across the street on the corner(I forget its name) would make for a richer more attractive look along that section of the block.

Like most of you, my biggest complaint would be the stubby design execution at the most exposed street level. I appreciate that they're trying to compensate for hiding the parking garage while at the same time allowing more parkway space by recessing the street level and maximizing the sq footage of the second floor. However, there are a few minimal more attractive ways of doing it than what they've chosen. Even if it's just reconfiguring the arrangement and directional pattern of the windows, it could be an improvement. Structurally, as it is now they would probably be able to only increase the vertical design pattern of the retail street windows and lengthen their vertical design flow up to the apartment level. Getting rid of those smaller windows at the top, especially the horizontal ones, along with the horizontal pattern on the masonry blocks would be an improvement. At a minimum, anything and everything that tends to enhance that squashed look of the bottom floor needs to go.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 13, 2021 at 3:28 PM.