View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

I am utterly disappointed that the Fundy Trail Parkway is being allowed to continue construction, it represents a pox on our native New Brunswick environment and should have been quelled years ago. And to think the project is getting tens of millions of dollars while Saint John needs drinking water that meets health standards is a disgusting mis-allocation of funds.

The Fundy coast between Big Salmon River and Fundy National Park is one of the most pristine, magnificent coastal areas in Eastern North America, it contains some of the only old growth trees left in the Maritimes, provides invaluable habitat for mammals, fish, birds, rare plants, etc., and our logical reaction as a society is "Let's put a big road right through it!" The area should have been annexed as part of Fundy National, be excluded from all ATV activity and the only way in and out of it should be the Fundy Footpath, which is often less than a metre wide.

I know I probably sound like a whackjob about this, but I have hiked great distances into the area many times, and the act of simply being there has been one of the most euphoric experiences of my life. There is something special, something spectacular about that little region that makes it different than anywhere else I've travelled, and I just can't come to grips with the idea that a road will go right through it.