View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Feds ante up to finish Fundy Trail Parkway
Published Thursday January 29th, 2009

Funding means completion date could be within two years; supporters say coast drive will outshine Cabot Trail

By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

News that the federal government is committed to completing the Fundy Trail Parkway has sparked hope that the project, predicted by some to become a world-renowned tourism destination, will be completed within two years.

In his budget speech on Tuesday, Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said funds will be available over the next two years to quickly start projects in all provinces.

"In New Brunswick, we will complete the Fundy Trail Parkway," he said.

The parkway, which consists of a two-lane road and biking and hiking trails, currently winds from St. Martins to the Big Salmon River, where a bridge was just completed. But officials admit it's a bridge to nowhere as motorists are forced to turn around and exit the park the same way they entered.

"To get it finished is very important. It doesn't quite work the way it is, it's sort of a dead end," said Stuart Jamieson, the province's tourism minister.

Kathy Weir, operator of the Broadleaf Guest Ranch on Hopewell Hill, said the trail follows the most pristine coastline in North America.

"It'll become a destination. I have no doubt that it'll be the biggest economic impact on the rural communities along the Bay of Fundy."

The completion of the project will link the trail to Fundy National Park. Tourists will be able to travel along the province's scenic coastline from St. Stephen, through the trail and park, to Sackville.

The trail, which supporters say will outshine the Cabot Trail once completed, offers stunning views of cliffs, beaches and the Bay of Fundy.

It attracts roughly 50,000 visitors each year and, once completed, is expected to create millions of dollars in spin-offs for numerous communities including Alma, Hillsborough, Riverside-Albert, Saint John, Sussex and Metro Moncton.

"We don't have a set date, of course, but the fact is the theme that runs throughout the budget on infrastructure spending is we need to put forward and begin work on projects that are ready to go. And this is a project that work is ready to go on it," said Fundy-Royal Conservative MP Rob Moore.

Frank Wilson, president of the Fundy Trail Development Authority, said it might be a little difficult to complete the project in two years.

"That might be running a little tight. I think I told government a little while ago we could have the project done in three years," he said.

There is roughly 30 kilometres of work that needs to completed, as well as upgrades to existing provincial roads.

Roughly $30 million is needed to complete the trail and another $17 million could be required to upgrade provincial roads to finish the project.

The project started roughly 20 years ago when the province purchased 28,000 hectares of land from the Hearst Corporation.

Jamieson has been working on the project since the beginning.

"It's something that I ran (my campaign) on back in 1987. I'm certainly excited today to hear the federal government is going to step up to the plate in a big way," he said.

Jamieson said he's convinced the project would double the need for hotels, motels and bed & breakfasts in the impacted communities. About half of the expected financial spin-offs would go to Moncton, Jamieson added.

Moore said he will work with his colleagues and provincial government to finalize the details of the project.

Daniel Allain, executive director of Downtown Moncton Inc., said the project will draw people to the city.

"It's going to have a direct impact on the Greater Moncton area because we have the Fundy Gateway in Riverview and (visitors) will come downtown and they'll do the Fundy Gateway, the Fundy Trail and they'll come back and sleep downtown that night."

Personal note: It may be T&T hyperbole to say that the Fundy Trail will "outshine the Cabot Trail", but it will complement the Cabot Trail quite nicely and there is no question that it will constitute the "scenic route" between Moncton and Saint John.

Saint Martins and the existing parkway are spectacular but the ability to carry on from Salmon River to Fundy Park, Alma, Cape Enrage, the Hopewell Rocks and the lower Petitcodiac River valley will make for an enticing route for tourists to take. There is no question that this should prove a boon to tourism in southern NB.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM.