View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
complete market failure that I see vacant lots and underutilized areas less than a mile from the largest freshwater lakes on earth. w beaches, etc. incredible.

look at this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8113...7i13312!8i6656

what is this detroit? what happened to the other houses on this block?
post decline Midwest urbanism is kind of fascinating though. its like a real life omega man. look at some of those other townhouses around there. some of them are clearly new, high end construction just standing there by themselves. bronzeville as far as I know is way less crime ridden then some of its southside neighbors but its still got some problems. id totally live around there though but I think you have to make some concessions. probably leisurely walk at night are off the table. detroit is even weirder. you see little urban fortress all around the fringes or new center and midtown. lofts with huge gates but inside it luxury living. parts of America are starting to resemble south africa or colombia. gated, fortified luxury surrounded by hostile territory. north saint Louis is even more weird. science fiction coming to life.