View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
I know, it has been done in Paris, while the number of cars was effectively reduced, the congestion increased.
I don't get the point to have less cars if we have more congestion.
Boulevard de Magenta redesign in Paris is a widely known as a big failure.

Paris situation is quite different of a lot of other cities.
Outside the freeways, most of the wide roads are located in the center and not in suburbs where roads are narrow (except radial roads to the center).
It would most likely lead to more congestion, though I would think the decrease in car usage would likely outweigh the effect of increased congestion. I guess both approaches have drawbacks. Could increased restrictions in parking also work?

My other point was that I was wondering how much of the smog came from the suburbs vs the city. If the city is encircled by highways and arterials creating smog, a lot of that is going to float over into the city.

Also, would the restrictions affect only residents of the city proper (plus that one other suburb) or would it also affect people travelling into the city from the suburbs?

I was surprised at how bad the smog was in Paris when I visited about 10 years ago though. Definitely significantly worse than in Toronto.