View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
I will always wonder how much history was wiped out when the sea levels rose again 12K years ago. I doubt its a coincidence that history seems to start around 10K BC.. there is probably evidence of a much more gradual development of civilization, language, etc but it is all underwater just off the coast of every continent. Pretty much every community around the world has a flood story and many communities have an atlantis story. Not a coincidence
Yep, I have had the same questions. It was a rapid melt and rapid warm up. We live in a time where the climate is incredibly stable, at least for the last 6,000 years or so.

Imagine what was submerged in the Adriatic and Aegian Seas in the Mediterranean. Imagine what was buried by the desertification of North Africa and the growth of the Sahara. The Sahara used to be green with rivers streams and trees-- not that long ago. Lake Chad was an inland sea.

Quote:
Earlier than the African humid period, humid periods in Africa had influenced the evolution of modern humans; the African humid period now led to a widespread settlement of the Sahara and the Arabian Deserts by humans. These at first lived on animals and plants naturally occurring in the region; later they started domesticating animals such as cattle, goats and sheep. They have left archeological sites and artifacts such as one of the oldest ships in the world; but in particular they created rock paintings such as those in the Cave of Swimmers and in the Acacus Mountains; in fact the existence of earlier wet periods was postulated after the discovery of these rock paintings in now-inhospitable parts of the Sahara. When the African humid period ended, humans gradually abandoned the desert in favour of regions with more secure water supplies, such as the Nile Valley and Mesopotamia, where they gave rise to early complex societies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_humid_period