View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
The Wiki article claims that preservation/repair efforts would have been feasible but were stymied by "interests" that apparently needed a new school building contract. Although no cites were given, it is true that several other brick high school buildings from the 1920s came through just fine, e.g. John Marshall, Hamilton, Uni, and perhaps a couple of others whose names escape me right now.
Uni's auditorium was knocked down mainly because the PTA President wanted her name on a new building. Stivleman Hall is now the school's auditorium along with the cafeteria in the basement level. I bring this up because there was very little damage to the original aud,and the company who knocked it down spent so much time and money that they went out of business because it was a solid building and only 30 years old at the time. I had a friend who went to LA High,and he told me the guy who designed the new building was a former prison inmate and drew from what he knew,he also did the buildings for Fairfax and Stivelman. Tov would know more about this.