View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 6:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I wasn't targeting a French/Anglo transition..Just an equivalent hard cultural transition between states like you would see here. I admit, I don't have enough experience on that, so I was just grasping a bit at straws at the LA and Texas example.As well, the Quebec/ON transition is not necessarily a huge change, but it is there and noticeable.

When you think about it, Ottawa really is predominantly anglophone because it's in Ontario and Gatineau is predominantly francophone because it's in Quebec.

(For some reason, you don't have this going on as much in smaller communities, so regardless of the border you have lots of French on both sides of the Quebec-Ontario boundary in the Hawkesbury area, and you have lots of English on both sides in the Pembroke area.)

I am trying to think of places in the U.S. where demographics tend to stay on one side of the state border because they feel "safer" or at least more at home. I am not aware of any. Though this does exist of course in lots places in the U.S. when it comes to municipal boundaries.