View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:01 AM

[QUOTE=59imperial;8451304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
AND......while we're on the subject.

Here is a mystery intersection, somewhere, along the Spruce Goose route.

As you can see there are plenty of clues.

UNLV

First of all...note that the cross street is one-way. (maybe it still is)

The guy on the right, wearing the white pants, is about to be pick-pocketed!

Here's a closer look at the building on the right.

detail

My kingdom for the name of the restaurant.

This has nothing to do with the location of the intersection....but

The sign(s) clearly shows that Howard Hughes hired the 'Star House Movers, Inc.'.

(the moving signs, no doubt, appear in the other photographs as well)...but this is the first time I noticed them. Duh.

detail

Note- one sign is being installed mid-journey. (the others might have been newly installed as well)

Have we looked into the history of Star House Movers on NLA?
_

Also..here are the markings on the cabs of the two trucks holding the scaffolding.

#53 and #33. I believe they are city trucks, correct?

p.s. I'm not sure what the men on the scaffolding are doing. -any ideas?

The trucks appear to belong to the Los Angeles Transit Lines (L.A.T.L.); the older truck has the old L.A.R.Y. (Los Angeles Railway) lettering on the cab. The newer truck has the L.A.T.L. logo. The men on the scaffolding probably removed the trolley wires, which were in the path of the Spruce Goose.

I'm reasonably certain that we're looking at the northwest corner of Imperial Hwy. (on which the Goose is traveling) at Hawthorne Blvd. in Inglewood.

Under magnification, the address number above the door of the real estate office is "11333", which yields a location just north of Imperial Hwy. The cross streets which carried LATL tracks in a median strip right-of-way would have been Hawthorne Blvd., Vermont Ave. and South Broadway. The Broadway location was a little lonely in those days, so I think it can be ruled out. As the business shown in the photo failed to tun up in the L.A. City Directories, I lean more toward Inglewood. Those directory listings aren't always definitive, though; so Vermont Ave. still might be a possibility. Unfortunately, very little of the built environment from 1946 remains on those stretches of Hawthorne and Vermont, so contemporary views aren't especially helpful.

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Jan 28, 2019 at 3:58 PM. Reason: Clarity, now that I'm awake and sort of functioning.