View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 8:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
This is off topic, but every climate projection I've read has Tucson progressively turning into Phoenix/Yuma/Baghdad in the coming decades which makes sense except for... when ocean temperatures are high, the pacific low that causes the monsoon moves south and Tucson gets record rainfall.

Like everyone else on the internet; I've earned an advanced degree in fill in the blank from Wikipedia University.

Can anyone explain why my amateur meteorology is missing the big picture?
As for global warming: I'm not on the DOOM AND GLOOM boat. This is great for human development. We haven't changed much at all genetically in 50,000 years, yet look at what we've achieved since the last ice age melted away to a warmer Earth 10,000 years ago! This was only achieved due to a warmer Earth.

Just imagine all of Canada and Siberia open for human use. It now currently stands as un-usable waste-of-space land. Most land on Earth resides in the higher latitudes. Look at Europe today. Most of the population is close to western areas of the European continent, where the warmer gulf stream currents of the Atlantic insulate it from the frigid interior climate zones of Russia.

El Nino, the seasonal warming of Pacific waters, translates to more rainfall to the Southwest. Wouldn't you guys want a warming effect? Warmer temperatures = more water vapor that the atmosphere is physically able to hold before saturation = increased rain fall = evaporative cooling.