View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:58 PM

Most of central Phoenix is pretty walkable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
It looks like it has a good mix of office, housing, probably hotel, retail, etc. How cohesive and walkable is it, or is it growing toward?
I live on the northeastern edge of central Phoenix (16th Street and Glendale, about 6 miles northeast of downtown Phoenix, and about 4 miles from most of midtown described in this article), and my area's walkscore is 75, "Very Walkable" according to www.walkscore.com. Once the Sprouts Grocery Store opens up in the old Basha's space across the street, this walkscore should improve even more, as the nearest grocery store now is just under one mile away. By contrast, my old neighborhood in Scottsdale near 136th Street and Shea, 25 miles northeast of downtown, had a walkscore of only 22, "Car Dependent."

Other samplings:

Central and Indian School (center of Midtown/Uptown): 69, "Somewhat Walkable."

Central and McDowell (one mile north of downtown): 91, "Walker's Paradise."

Central and Van Buren (downtown Phoenix): 89, "Very Walkable."

From my culling of the statistical data of central Phoenix, we have about 650,000 people living in about 120 square miles. Of that population, about 8.7% are gay or lesbian, although I suspect these numbers are under-reported, especially since many of the condos and townhomes like my complex are 30-50% gay in central Phoenix. The median age is about 35, slightly younger and wealthier than the metro area as a whole. It is about 70% Democrat and 30% Republican, which is about opposite of the metro area as a whole. In short, we are a large blue island in a massive red sea.

In a nutshell, if you enjoy urbanity, central Phoenix is the place to be in Arizona.

--don