Thread: GO Transit
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 5:33 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkalunk View Post
Waterloo Warrior, well said. I see the possible GO extension into New Hamburg as an opportunity for people to commute into Kitchener or Guelph, or as a local train service for people to then transfer to a VIA train for Toronto. Unlike toronto, I wonder if Baden/New Hamburg has enough density to warrant such a service, or if could be better served by coaches. The most feasible option I see for a line with a few self propelled rail cars to be run in both directions between New Hamburg and Guelph with these possible stops.

New Hamburg -> Baden - Fischer-Hallman - Downtown Kitchener - Breslau - Guelph

I'm also worried that GO-esque service to Wilmont will help encourage more cookie cutter suburban sprawl like Vaughan or Milton or Barrhaven (South-West Ottawa). But, I do believe that the western part of our region is underserviced by transit and either GO or GRT should at least provide some service to these areas.

Also, What does this announcement mean for the Cambridge GO extension from Milton?
it could always start as GO Bus instead.... many of the small towns around the outer GTA have GO bus service like Rockwood, Action, Beaverton.... many connect to the nearest GO Train. It will be interesting to see how the Elmira GRT trial goes. Your idea sounds good, something like the O-Train in Ottawa would be nice.

I agree, it's a big danger that it will increase growth pressure in those places and pressure the Region to expand the urban growth boundary. the province has talked about expanding the greenbelt if municipalities wish, so hopefully most wilmot land would be added to that. However I think increasing people's transportation options is important, so there should be some sort of service out there at least.

the Region is doing its own study, not sure about GO.