View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 6:40 PM

I sometimes think the level of stress people assume about going across the bay is really overstated. I lived in dowtown Fairhope for a year (2 blocks from the bayfront) and went to visit friends in downtown Mobile all the time. No matter the time of day I usually made it in about 30 minutes which is about right for the distance involved. I'll give that an accident on the Bayway could increase the time, but if you usually just take the Causeway instead it was very rare for you to encounter heavy traffic & the drive is also a bit more scenic... esp. in the early morning.

I like the ferry plans, though. Getting to Gulf Shores is a nightmare no matter where you start your trip. Getting from Robertsdale to Gulf Shores can take longer some days than getting from Point Clear to Mobile. It would be nice if there was another way to get there.

I am a bit curious as to where they would put a terminal in Point Clear as most of the shoreline is taken up by all those beautiful houses or the resort and there's not much point to having a Point Clear terminal if you have one in Fairhope... not much distance and very minimal traffic on scenic 98 between the two. I would hope the ferry would dock at the Fairhope Pier. Love that area. The most amazing sunsets in the world, imo, are in perfect view from it.

Not sure what the links to Fowl River are for... Is there a lot of potential traffic from there to the East Bay? Seems a bit random to me.