View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 2:58 PM

Well i'm almost 50 and actually watched Nelson and David rise from my school across the river in North Bergen. They aren't just sentimental to me but they also had an "in your face" presence about them that the new building just doesn't have. Sure,they were boxy but that was the thing. Their simplicity is what made them outstanding and the view they afforded from the NJ Turnpike in late afternoon,when the setting sun was hitting them just right gave them a golden glow that just doesn't compare. I can remember visiting them and basically bellying up to the South Tower and looking straight up in awe and of course the view from the rooftop platform was breathtaking. I can remember as a kid begging my father to take the Lincoln Tunnel as opposed to the Verrazano when we'd go visit relatives in Long Island or Brooklyn just so we'd have to go down the West Side Highway and pass right by them and then craning my neck to see the top. Perhaps if they would have built two of these new buildings,i might feel differently. I think the new one is nice but im sorry,Nelson and david will always be #1 to me. ;-)