View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
That's basically how I see it as well. If I've got a few bucks and I like the guy, I'll just give 'em some change. Not my business how they use it. Hell, there've been times where I had a case of beer and just offered someone a beer instead - lord knows they could use it. Some of you are acting like these are zoo animals or something.

As an aside, is it just my impression or does homelessness in cities across the US seem to have gotten a lot worse in recent years? On my last trips to New York, Boston, and DC in the early 2010s there didn't seem to be much of a homeless problem at the time; but from what I've heard from friends DC is pretty bad right now, while I've seen a number of articles about the growing problem in Manhattan. And based on a recent trip to Chicago it seemed to have a huge homeless population throughout the city. To say nothing of the West Coast...
As far as Chicago, saying the city has a HUGE homeless problem is a bit of an exaggeration. Are there homeless people? Yes, but it is on par with other large eastern/midwest cities. Feels less "homeless-ey" than NYC, and probably on par with Boston/Philly/DC.

Now, LA, SF, and Portland have huge homeless problems in my opinion.